Monday, October 27, 2008

It is Finished

For now, that is.

Race Day I was frightful. Hordes of women dressed in the same top (!!), lots of annoying rah-rah by skinny Ms Sunshine MC, and no personal space to even uncreak my lower back. And they made us warm up to "YMCA"! After an agonising 20 minute wait, finally the foghorns were sounded and everyone burst forward. Had to concentrate hard so not to trip over any one of the 5,000+ women around me.

It was comforting to see some not even bothering to jog/run from the start. At least there was hope I wouldn't be last - YAY! Tried to keep pace with lady with brown full-face visor and brown rubber bands in her hair. It was a sign! After all, brown is my fave colour. She was fast! And she didn't go round the cones or kerbs, and after a bit I lost sight of her.

Woe to you who come in groups and stroll 4 abreast! And those who whip their elbows side to side while moving forward! And mostly, woe to those who do not break sweat while bouncing along and chatting with friends!

And, am I glad I did some roadside running before the race. It is truly treacherous, dealing with the pollution and hot road surfaces. My feet felt so hot after the halfway mark, and the weather was (thankfully) not even that warm yesterday morning.

Throughout the run I was thinking, how am I going to do the 10k? Aieeeeeee.....

Seemed like forever till the end was in sight. Tried to concentrate on music, though noticed for the first time how disturbing the lyrics of some of the songs I have on my iPod are. Finally, crossed the finishing arc and greeted by too-enthusiastic ushers. Mental note to self - never print real name on bib again.

YAY!! We did it, we did it!!

Now, had to search for water. Loud broadcasted reminders to keep hydrated were annoyingly frustrated by refreshments being hidden. That was plain evil! Legs so wobbly! Throat so parched! And still had to make way to far end of field to get something to drink.

Did semblance of warm down, then off to celebratory lunch! Dulukala Peranakan Restuarant at Beauty world Plaza. Mmmmmm! First time for everyone and it was great! Assam fish head, ayam goreng, sambal sweet potato leaves, ayam buah keluak, babi pongteh, and lotsa drinks.

Came home and crashed, had a nice long nap.

I dedicate the successful completion to all our fans who believed in us - K, had I read your Celtic blessing *before* the run, maybe I wouldn't even need music; Carrie, whom I've not met but thanks for all the kind words :) and Jared, who actually asked if I would come in first (sorry mummy has disappointed you but I'm pinning all my dreams of running glory on you!), and thanks also to Opus - we can check this off out Bucket List now - wouldn't have done this without you and wouldn't dream of doing this with any other penguin! Keeskees!

p/s 4 weeks till 10k!

No comments: