Monday, March 25, 2013

Duathlon Numero Uno

Duathlons are fun!

They're certainly less boring than running 10K, that's for sure. Tried out my first duathlon yesterday (was it only yesterday?!) which consisted of a 3K run, a 20K bike, then a 3K run again.

A duathlon is not the same as a biathlon, as some people might think. A biathlon generally refers to the sport of cross-country skiing and rifle shooting. Yes! Hm, that sounds fun too.

Not what I was doing.
So anyway, back to the duathlon. The first 3K was a nice run, then you hop onto your bike and start riding - a stretch of road in Sengkang was blocked off for the event. I loved how there were your hardcore competitors as well as regular folk and newbies. I saw more than a few fat tyres (hybrids, mountain bikes) and even 1 or 2 fixies and foldies! The depressing thing is, they ALL passed me. I was slow. Slow slow slow.

The second 3K I was wheezing and shuffling my feet badly. Barely faster than walking pace. Nice people ran past me and called out encouragement. That's how sad and pathetic I looked, ha ha. Even an uncle and auntie out for a stroll/picnic asked me if I wanted an umbrella. Uncle asked this. Then Auntie told him not to kachow me.

After 1 hour and 51 minutes, I finished. I was one of the last few, but I achieved my goal of not being the ACTUAL last person, and my personal target of getting in under 2 hours.

Yay! I've bitten the multisport bug. What now? Join me, runningstitch!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are my new role model! Woot!

Unknown said...

Ps. OK, let's do a biathlon!

opus2 said...

Biathlon. Set. I love snow. And shooting things.